ESG Investing: Myths vs. Reality
In their presentation Ian and Sameer highlight the myths and realities of ESG investing from the perspective of a CFA Charterholder. Their presentation is consistent with the CFA Body of Knowledge and provides attendees an enduring foundation to assess the ever-expanding ESG framework.
From a global perspective, Sameer and Ian examine the origins and differences amongst Socially Responsible Investing (SRI), Responsible Investing (RI), and ESG Investing. They distinguish between practices that are consistent with Modern Portfolio Theory and those that are better aligned with Behavioral Finance, including the costs, benefits, and impact of each approach. Several examples of impact investments are highlighted. They compare the ESG investments offered by the investment industry to retail and institutional investors (they are not the same!). The program will address how misconceptions about ESG factors can affect investment decisions. Ian and Sameer discuss common ESG myths and contrast them with their respective realities.
- Distinguish between common ESG Myths vs. Realities.
- Understand how ESG Investing aligns with fiduciary duty.
- Explain how ESG issues can drive stock prices.
- Explain how ESG investing can impact ESG outcomes.
- Integrate new ESG information under a Modern Portfolio Theory framework.
- Consider CFA Institute’s excellent Certificate in ESG Investing.
Please note that the presentation and video must not be shared.